Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Slow cooked chicken thighs in soy sauce

This is a variation of the Chinese dish, 红烧肉 (soy sauce stewed meat?). Normally I've had it with small pieces of chicken or chunks of fatty pork. However, I also like to use this method to cook chicken thighs. I also decided to use the slow cooker (a new favorite) because how easy it is to just toss everything in and let it cook!
  • 4 chicken thighs
  • whole cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 3 slices of ginger (be conservative, the ginger tends to dominate the flavor)
  • fresh basil leaves
  • soy sauce (like I said in the previous post, I'm terrible at measurements. I just go by feel. So I'd say pour the soy sauce all over the chicken about an inch deep in the pot. I'll try to measure it out next time.)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
  • a capful of rice wine
  • 2 jalapenos, sliced (not totally necessary, but I like adding a bite to it)
Put the thighs in first. Mix the brown sugar into the soy sauce first then pour it all in. Pour in the water and rice wine. Place the cloves of garlic, ginger, basil leaves and jalapeno slices on and around the thighs.

Allow it to cook in the slow cooker on high 4 to 5 hours.
You can also do this in a pan, using legs or wings.
In a pan:
1. Heat the oil and toss in the garlic first. Let garlic cook till you can smell it.
2. Put chicken pieces into pan
3. toss in all other ingredients
4. pour in soy sauce (less than what you would put in the slow cooker)
The chicken doesn't need to be fully immersed in the soy sauce--you don't need that much, just sitting in a pool of it.
5. Add in the water, etc...
6. Reduce the heat to a low-medium and let it simmer
Turn the meat every so often until the middle is fully cooked.

I prefer the slow cooker because it really lets the flavors soak into the meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment